How do I have my conviction expunged?

How do I have my conviction expunged?

Federal convictions cannot be expunged. However, you may apply for a Presidential Pardon. Any person convicted in Federal court of a felony is eligible to file a petition for a Presidential Pardon under the following general circumstances, although some exceptions may apply:

1. The individual is no longer serving the sentence and is not under parole, probation or supervised release supervision;

2. Five years have passed since release from confinement or if no confinement was imposed, five years from the date of conviction; and

3. A waiting period of seven years is required for more serious offenses, including violations of narcotic laws, income tax laws, perjury, violation of public trust involving dishonesty, violent crimes, gun control laws, fraud involving substantial sums of money, violations involving organized crime, and other crimes of a serious nature.

In addition, it is strongly recommended that you consult with an attorney to assist you with the process.

Pardon applications may be obtained by making a written request to the Office of the Pardon Attorney, at the following address:

Office of the Pardon Attorney
United States Department of Justice
500 First Street, N.W., Suite 400
Washington, D.C. 20530